As we continue to practice on the spiritual path, we discover that mindfulness ‘becomes wiser’ as it matures, inviting an ever-deepening access to wisdom and the release of reactive patterns and emotions which don’t serve living an awakened life. This retreat offers a map of teachings and practices, strongly influenced by the Thai forest tradition, exploring how this process works.
This silent Vipassana (Insight Meditation) retreat will consist of alternating periods of sitting and walking meditation, plus teachings and optional daily Qi Gong practice. Instructions for the development of Insight and some of the Brahma Viharas (lovingkindness/compassion/joy/equanimity) will be offered.
The heart of the map in theory and direct experience is called MahaSati in the Pali, which is translated as:
* Great mindfulness (Wise View is increasing)
* Continuous mindfulness (supported by concentration)
* Pure knowing (at the 6 Sense Doors)
* Pure awareness (clearing out of the Defilements of Greed, Aversion, Delusion)
* Mindfulness of emptiness (emptiness of self and objects)
In order to support access to MahaSati (pure awareness) to develop and stabilize in meditation and daily life, we will explore the following areas:
– Embodiment: A calm settled inhabited body is conducive for seeing clearly & letting go. First Foundation of Mindfulness & energy practices will be offered.
– Concentration: The development of concentration is imperative for the stabilization of access to MahaSati. Several techniques will be offered to support and increase concentration of mind.
– MahaSati Access Doorways: A number of techniques will be offered, inviting access to ‘doorways into deepening awareness.’
– Taming the Defilements: Learn how to investigate more fully where we get caught in deeply rooted reactive habit patterns, such as Greed, Aversion & Delusion.
– The Three Characteristics: Re-orienting the mind to see and respond from the lens of the truths of Impermanence, Unsatisfactoriness, and Not Self.
– Letting Go & Release: Developing familiarity with the different expressions in direct experience of letting go of reactivity at all levels, both as a development and a result of deepening practice.
– Reflections of Pure Awareness: As we integrate and stabilize the deepening access to awareness and insight, we become ever-more familiar with the many of the beautiful qualities of pure awareness, such as spaciousness, emptiness and equanimity.
To support deepening practice, participants will check in individually with the teacher every three days, as well as at optional small group check-ins.
* Please note the MahaSati teachings & practices offered at this retreat are not the same as those prominently listed on the web.
2021 CURRENT COVID-19 PROTOCOLS:
A vaccination requirement is in place for all participants on this retreat. Follow this link for more information about the vaccine requirement, including an avenue for medical exemption.
All participants will be housed in single sleeping rooms.
We will continue to require all retreatants, staff and teachers to remain masked throughout the retreat.
The retreat container will be constructed in accordance with the current covid-19 conditions at the time to maximize individual and group health. All participants will be required to follow all covid-19 health and safety guidelines in place at Cloud Mountain. We reserve the right to adjust expectations of acceptable behaviors within the retreat environment to respond most appropriately to covid-19 conditions. PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT OUR COVID-19 HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS.
Scholarship funds are available on all retreats to assist those with financial challenges. For more information, read the Scholarship section of our overview information.
This retreat is intended for experienced students.
PREREQUISITE: This is an Intermediate Level retreat. You need to have sat a total of 14 days or more in silent vipassana retreats in order to attend.
Please consider attending this retreat only if your current life circumstances allow you to engage in an important modern renunciation practice of staying 100% offline & off phone/text during the entire course of the retreat.
Subsidized fee : $490 plus dana offerings to teacher(s) and staff
Sustaining fee : $545 plus dana offerings to teacher(s) and staff
Supporting fee : $580 plus dana offerings to teacher(s) and staff